I’ve been in touch with the cousin who has the eight additional volumes of the diary which I had added to the one I had. She continues to live in the old home where the writer of the diary, Georgina Barrett Devlin, spent her last years. She was a wealth of information about the family, some of which I have incorporated into footnotes.
She also has a couple more photos which I will also be including. Glad I restrained my impatience to actually publish. Things will be delayed, but I think a lot will be added.
Well, I got the proof copy back from Amazon even more quickly than they promised, and it really looks good. I got Bill to proof read it, and boy did he find lots of corrections that I needed to make. These were mainly formatting issues, such as extra spaces where there shouldn’t be, numbering of footnotes, etc. I’ve worked on them, as well have choosing a deeper color – “saddle brown” – for the cover and will be sending it back to Amazon soon.
This all sure does take a lot of time!
The proof copy arrived today and it looks wonderful! Bill, with a fresh pair of eyes, will proofread it soon.
There’ll be a few tweaks and corrections, needless to say, but then I’ll resubmit and we should be good to go.
I’ve gotten word that it meets the “technical requirements” of CreateSpace. So I’ve ordered a copy to proof. Should be here in less than a week!
Here is the bound copy that I have had for over fifty years, given to me by my grandmother. As it turned out, there were seven more volumes that I was able to borrow from a cousin and transcribe.
After working for years to complete the transcription, footnoting, introduction, historical notes, and most complicated of all, formatting, I’ve submitted The Diary of a Southern Lady to CreateSpace for publication. If it meets their technical requirements, the next step will be to order a draft copy to proof. I’m holding my breath!